Tuesday 5th March 6:15 pm for 6:30 start
Green Acres Golf Club
51 Elm Grove, Kew East, VIC
We are getting fatter and sicker; what are we going to do about it?”
Dr Peter Brukner OAM, is a world-renowned Australian sports medicine clinician and researcher. Until recently the team doctor for the Australian cricket team for 5 years, he has held similar positions at Liverpool FC, Melbourne and Collingwood AFL clubs, the Socceroos and with the national Olympic athletics team.
- Founding partner at the Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre in Melbourne:
- Associate Professor in Sports Medicine at the Center for Health, Exercise and Sports Medicine at the University of Melbourne;
- Served two terms as President of the Australian College of Sports Physicians during which time he was instrumental in the establishment of a specialist level training program in Australia for sports medicine physicians;
- Peter has published widely internationally with a number of books, book chapters and over 90 original research articles. He is the co-author of Clinical Sports Medicine, the best-selling sports medicine text book in the world;
- His contribution to sports medicine has been recognised by the award of the inaugural Citation for Distinguished Service by the Australian College of Sports Physicians and the Citation Award of the American College of Sports Medicine. In 2006 Peter was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for services to sports medicine;
- He is the co-founder of the public health campaign SugarByHalf and is committed to the challenge of improving the nation’s health with improved diet and increased physical activity;
- His latest publication is “A Fat Lot of Good”.
- Lord Summers Camp – Michael Newton
Tue 19th Feb
Our speaker, Mike Newton is a long term member of Lord Somers Camp and Power House. Lord Somers Camp and Power House is a small organisation offering services such as camps, programs and activities held in inner and outer Melbourne and the Somers campsite in Victoria. Mike was fortunate to be nominated to Big Camp in 1971 and had various leadership roles at the camp for several years after that. He currently is a member of the Lord Somers Camp and Powerhouse Finance Committee and helps to encourage other like minded organisations to enjoy the magic of using the Somers Camp. In 2003 Mike was a founding Board Member of the Power House Youth Leadership Foundation and became Chairman in 2013. Mike worked as an industrial chemist for over 35 years and is a non-executive director of a health sector business. Michael Doble, President St Kevin’s Old Boys Football Club and Board Member of St Kevin’s College, Toorak will attending the meeting to thank the Club for supporting St Kevin’s FC mentoring program.